The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts.
INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
Job Type:Full Time
Experience :5 years
Job Field :Administration / Secretarial NGO/Non-Profit
Job ID: #1386811
Terms and Conditions: 1 year contract (renewable),
Purpose of Position
- This is a high profile, dynamic and multi-faceted post, and a key node in the humanitarian architecture of Nigeria. INSO Nigeria aims to support security awareness and security management capabilities amongst NGOs within Nigeria.
- INSO helps the community of humanitarian workers in Nigeria deliver humanitarian aid by providing vital coordination and information free services that save lives and improve access.
- INSO Nigeria is now in its opening phase and is looking for its first director.
- A coordination office will be opened in Abuja, and an operational office in Maiduguri. INSO Nigeria will focus its operations on North Eastern part of Nigeria.
- The successful applicant will be a leader and a listener, an effective communicator, an eagle-eyed analyst, a team player and a people person, with appropriate experience and expertise, and a proven commitment to humanitarian principles and the aid community.
- This post requires demonstrable motivation to improve the humanitarian coordination system in one of the major humanitarian crisis in the world today.
- The development of informative, unbiased networks to maintain a status of a recognised ‘country expert’ and provision of the highest level of strategic analysis, advice and information to NGO beneficiaries is the essential modus operandi.
- The Director of the INSO Nigeria team will uphold INSO’s mandate and humanitarian principles, while providing outstanding, high-level and transparent representation and liaison to all parties.
- To establish and maintain the physical, legal and administrative presence of INSO in the country including liaison with, and reporting to, all relevant national authorities
- To establish the Advisory Board and integrate its recommendations into the programme
- In close cooperation with that Board, to lead the development, implementation and maintenance of all aspects of the required INSO services countrywide
- In close cooperation with the Board, to monitor and review service quality, relevance and value and where necessary to undertake the amendment, removal or addition of services
- To oversee and coordinate all staff and resources in the delivery of all mandated services including 24/7 flash reporting, analysis, meetings, orientations etc.
- To maintain a status as a recognised ‘country expert’ in order to be able to provide the highest level of strategic analysis, advice and information to beneficiaries.
- To lead all aspects of grant management including annual funding strategy, proposals, reports, budget management, forecasts and maintaining contractual compliance in all areas at all times.
- To oversee the recruitment, orientation, management and professional development of all INSO employees.
- To ensure the application all INSO global policy in both administrative and operational areas including HR, Finance, Logistics, Security and Service Delivery Standards
- To provide high level representation and liaison for INSO towards all third parties such as NGOs, Donors, UN, Government, embassies, media or any other actor
- To actively manage the public perception of INSO in order to establish and maintain recognition of its mandate for independence, impartiality and neutrality
- Exemplary command of the English language (written and spoken).
- Master’s level education or equivalent in a relevant field (please specify).
- Minimum of two (2) full years at Director/Deputy Director level (or equivalent).
- Minimum of five (5) years in post conflict/emergency environments in the humanitarian sector.
- Humanitarian donor/grant management experience & policy knowledge.
- Acceptance and strong understanding of humanitarian principles
Solid and up to date understanding of principles and practices in broad humanitarian action, NGO safety and risk management, humanitarian access, and civil-military coordination.
- Outgoing and confident personality.
- Excellent networking, diplomatic, and representative communication skills.
- The following are not necessary requirements, but will give applicants an advantage over others. Please describe any relevant experience in your cover letter.
- Minimum of two (2) recent years of experience in Nigeria, and demonstrable advanced knowledge with the historical and current social, political, security, of the country
- Previous experience as a Country Director
- Direct experience and involvement in a crisis management role
- Experience in a highly visible inter-agency role.
- Deep understanding of NGO risk management dynamics.
- Detailed understanding of INSO mandate & services.
- Existing (relevant) local information networks and contacts.
Remuneration and Benefits
- €5500 per month salary,
Housing allowance, global medical coverage, €150000 AD&D coverage.
- Based in Abuja (family duty station) with frequents travels (twice per month) on the field.
- 4 days of leave per full month (when calculating the leave days the count starts on the first working day after you depart and then week-ends and public holidays are counted in the calculation). R&R (extra 3 days per quarter).
Method of Application
To apply, send the following documents to email@example.com and reference ‘INSO Director Nigeria’ in the subject line of their email.
Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
Up to date CV (5 page maximum).
One relevant and substantive writing sample in English, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (10 page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (Certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
Only shortlisted candidates can be contacted.
197 total views, 1 today